Published on 27 May 2012 by Toni M.
Yesterday, Liberty Racing’s Jakub Smrz topped both free practice and the first qualifying session with a best lap of 1.49.842, in today’s Qp2 the Czech rider shaved off r almost another seven tenths of second to hit the 1.48.517 mark and hold on to the provisional pole, with all the action happening in the final 10 minutes when the Miller track finally dried out.
Carlos Checa was second and the only other rider besides Smrz to dive under the 1.49 barrier. Marco Melandri was again third, followed by a fast Sylvain Guintoli who was a mere 0.070s from the BMW factory rider. Eugene Laverty grabbed fifth with Jonathan Rea in 6th, who was the last rider to be within a second from Smrz.
Fixi Crescent’s John Hopkins, in a last lap flyer jumped from the backfield where he was lingering to take 7th and he was just 0.053s faster than Max Biaggi. Closing out the top ten were Leon Haslam and Tom Sykes.
Not making the cut into today’s Superpole will be Loris Baz, Ayrton Badovini, David Salom, Leon Camier, Hiroshi Aoyama again, Leandro Mercado, Jake Holden and wild card Shane Turpin who was more than five seconds off pace but he qualified for tomorrow’s races.
WSBK Miller QP2 results:
1. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1′48.517
2. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′48.789
3. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1′49.009
4. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′49.079
5. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′49.175
6. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1′49.243
7. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1′49.531
8. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′49.584
9. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1′49.634
10. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′49.636
11. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1′49.654
12. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′49.968
13. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′49.980
14. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1′50.014
15. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1′50.031
16. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′50.280
17. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′50.424
18. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1′50.427
19. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′50.504
20. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1′50.520
21. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1′50.963
22. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′51.843
23. Jake Holden (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1′52.108
24. Shane Turpin (Boulder Motor Sports) Ducati 1098R 1′54.399