Published on 08 Jun 2012 by Toni M.
It looked like the first free Superbike practice at Misano would be an affair between Ducati riders Carlos Checa and Sylvain Guintoli, instead it was Marco Melandri who decided to put in a flying lap at the end of session and take the top of the timesheets.
Melandri posted an impressive 1.36.613 lap that left Checa in second and a little more than a tenth adrift. Both riders were the only ones to post a lap under the 1.37 mark.
Liberty Racing’s Sylvain Guintoli ended up third, but rookie Niccolò Canepa on a Red Devils Roma branded Ducati was hot on his tail and separated by a mere 0.40s from the French rider. FIXI Suzuki’s Leon Camier who will be riding in next month’s Suzuka 8 Hourstook the fifth spot followed by Ayrton Badovini on the BMW satellite machine.
Standings leader Max Biaggi was seventh and the last rider to be within a second from Melandri. Jonathan Rea finished the session in 8th with an impressive David Salom in 9th for Kawasaki Pedercini despite a crash at the Curva del Carro in the final minute. Leon Haslam was 10th and more than 1.1 seconds slower than his Italian team mate, while strangely enough Kawasaki’s Tom Sykes ended up struggling and took 13th. Michel Fabrizio was 14th after a crash at the Tramonto, but he was able to re-join.
Wild card Matteo Baiocco took 17th with Ducati Barni Racing branded 1198, while replacement rider for BMW Grillini Progea, Federico Sandi in his first official outing with the team was last and more than four tenths off pace.
WSBK Misano FP1 results:
1. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1′36.613
2. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′36.735
3. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′37.135
4. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1′37.175
5. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1′37.229
6. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1′37.448
7. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′37.523
8. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1′37.627
9. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′37.641
10. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1′37.713
11. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1′37.740
12. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1′37.778
13. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′37.807
14. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1′37.936
15. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′37.937
16. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′37.943
17. Matteo Baiocco (Barni Racing Team Italia) Ducati 1098R 1′37.967
18. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′38.022
19. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′38.053
20. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1′38.403
21. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1′38.478
22. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′38.730
23. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′39.242
24. Federico Sandi (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 1′40.781