Published on 30 Jun 2012 by Toni M.
Mr Superpole took his sixth Superpole of the season with an incredible blistering lap of 1’56.522 around the Spanish circuit in the final shootout, destroying the track record set by Marco Melandri just minutes before in SP2 by over seven tenths of a second.
Max Biaggi will be taking off in second and he’ll have his Aprilia team mate Eugene Laverty right beside him and on the front row for the first time this season. Leon Haslam pipped his super fast BMW team mate Marco Melandri by just 0.074s for the final spot. Jonathan Rea did some real honest damage control after a bad start to the weekend and he’ll be starting in 6th, ahead of Carlos Checa (fastest in SP1) and Chaz Davies who made it into SP3 for the first time this season.
Ayrton Badovini will be starting in 9th and he finds himself on the third row with Ducati riders Sylvain Guintoli and Davide Giugliano and Jakub Smrz. Leon Camier, was only 14th and he’ll be in the company of Michel Fabrizio (who didn’t make the cut to SP2 and pipped by Guintoli by just 0.006s) Loris Baz and Lorenzo Zanetti, who crashed out at turn 9 during SP1.
WSBK Motorland Aragon Superpole results:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′56.552
2. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′57.260
3. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′57.592
4. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1′57.710
5. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1′57.784
6. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1′58.033
7. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′58.243
8. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1′58.485
9. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′58.073
10. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1′58.249
11. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1′58.264
12. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 1′59.160
13. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 1′58.534
14. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1′58.660
15. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′59.302
16. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1′59.549
17. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1′59.474
18. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 1′59.686
19. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 1′59.811
20. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 2′00.164
21. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2′00.245
22. Leandro Mercado (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2′00.975
23. Norino Brignola (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 2′03.823