Published on 04 Aug 2012 by Toni M.
Tom Sykes dominated today’s second qualifying session at Silverstone. The Kawasaki rider’s best lap was seemingly untouchable for the rest of the field as he posted 2.05.350 before it started raining in the final ten minutes of the session.
The surprise of the session - but not that surprising at Silverstone - was John Hopkins in second. Last year Hopkins wildcarded with his BSB Samsung Crescent Suzuki (now Fixi) team at the British circuit and took the Superpole (2.04.041).
Marco Melandri climbed back up the charts to take third followed by Leon Camier on the second Fixi Suzuki. Carlos Checa finished in fifth while Sylvain Guintoli continues to pull out an impressive performance on the Pata Ducati in sixth. Loris Baz made it comfortably into Superpole with his seventh spot as did Maxime Berger and Eugene Laverty and Jakub Smrz.
Michel Fabrizio and Davide Giugliano qualified 11th and 12th respectively while Leon Haslam will have to find something more for today’s Superpole as he was down in 13th. After yesterday’s 18th spot Jonathan Rea made it to 14th, with Chaz Davies on the Aprilia right behind him. Max Biaggi grabbed the last spot available - but just barely - he was just 0.074s faster that returning Niccolò Canepa. It looks like Silverstone is shaping up to be another Brno for the standings leader.
Joining Canepa outside the Superpole will be Ayrton Badovini Lorenzo Zanetti, the usual Hiroshi Aoyama, David Salom, Pedercini replacement rider David Johnson, Norino Brignola and returnee Brett McCormick.
WSBK Silverstone QP2 Results:
1. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2′05.350
2. John Hopkins (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2′05.747
3. Marco Melandri (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 2′06.106
4. Leon Camier (FIXI Crescent Suzuki) Suzuki GSX-R1000 2′06.120
5. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 2′06.148
6. Sylvain Guintoli (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 2′06.216
7. Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2′06.218
8. Maxime Berger (Team Effenbert Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 2′06.232
9. Eugene Laverty (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2′06.272
10. Jakub Smrz (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 2′06.296
11. Michel Fabrizio (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 2′06.363
12. Davide Giugliano (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 2′06.408
13. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 2′06.544
14. Jonathan Rea (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 2′06.547
15. Chaz Davies (ParkinGO MTC Racing) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2′06.684
16. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 2′06.721
17. Niccolò Canepa (Red Devils Roma) Ducati 1098R 2′06.795
18. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia GoldBet) BMW S1000 RR 2′06.803
19. Lorenzo Zanetti (PATA Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 2′06.869
20. Hiroshi Aoyama (Honda World Superbike Team) Honda CBR1000RR 2′06.921
21. David Salom (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2′08.069
22. David Johnson (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 2′09.762
23. Norino Brignola (Grillini Progea Superbike Team) BMW S1000 RR 2′10.912
24. Brett McCormick (Liberty Racing Team Effenbert) Ducati 1098R 2′13.730