Published on 03 Sep 2011 by Toni M.
There’s no stopping Carlos Checa.The Althea Racing rider devasted the field with his new Superpole record at Nurburgring, stopping the clock at 1.54.144 in SP3 and dropping four tenths from the previous record, but he had to keep Yamaha’s Eugene Laverty at bay throughout the three Superpole sessions.
Laverty will take off right beside Checa, while injured Max Biaggi battled to third and Marco Melandri grabbed fourth but at little less than seventh tenths off pace. All four front row starters have won races this year and have another pace compared to the rest of the field.
Coming in fourth and heading the second row, sees the welcome return of a rejuvenated Nori Haga followed by Tom Sykes on the PBM Kawasaki with BMW’s Leon Haslam right beside him. Sylvain Guintoli who almost didn’t make it past SP2 took eighth, after using up all his qualifying tire allotment in the previous two stints.
Castrol Honda’s Jonathan Rea was ninth after Guintoli pushed him out of 8th in SP2 with a last flying lap. Jakub Smrz ended up 10th followed Pedercini’s Mark Aitchison and Michel Fabrizio who crashe out in SP1 trying to tag Carlos Checa.
WSBK Nurburgring Superpole final results:
1. Carlos Checa (Althea Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’54.144
2. Eugene Laverty (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 1’54.512
3. Max Biaggi (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’54.743
4. Marco Melandri (Yamaha World Superbike Team) Yamaha YZF R1 1’54.818
5. Noriyuki Haga (PATA Racing Team Aprilia) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’55.113
6. Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team Superbike) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’55.223
7. Leon Haslam (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1’55.237
8. Sylvain Guintoli (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’55.249
9. Jonathan Rea (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 1’55.321
10. Jakub Smrz (Team Effenbert-Liberty Racing) Ducati 1098R 1’55.598
11. Mark Aitchison (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’55.625
12. Michel Fabrizio (Team Suzuki Alstare) Suzuki GSX-R1000 1’56.177
13. Leon Camier (Aprilia Alitalia Racing Team) Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1’55.633
14. Maxime Berger (Supersonic Racing Team) Ducati 1098R 1’55.811
15. Ayrton Badovini (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) BMW S1000 RR 1’56.101
16. Joan Lascorz (Kawasaki Racing Team) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’56.162
17. Troy Corser (BMW Motorrad Motorsport) BMW S1000 RR 1’56.401
18. James Toseland (BMW Motorrad Italia SBK Team) BMW S1000 RR 1’56.637
19. Roberto Rolfo (Team Pedercini) Kawasaki ZX-10R 1’56.996
20. Makoto Tamada (Castrol Honda) Honda CBR1000RR 1’57.950